Dictionary’s definition of shapewear is ‘women’s tight-fitting underwear intended to control and shape the figure’. There is no dispute that shapewear works in slimming the tummy, hips, and thigh area; and some lift the buttocks. Finding the right style for your body can be a bit of a challenge. There needs to be a level of comfort, and importantly, the shapewear of choice must NOT roll down your waist or roll up your thighs. The shapewear worn will be determined by the style of dress and what area of your body you want ‘shaped’. With many brands available, choices are aplenty. Below is a shapewear guide that can be used when choosing what would suit best your body type and dress
Image source: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/219198706838381926/
When purchasing shapewear, consider the following:
- Soft and breathable fabric. Most of what is out there is 90% nylon and 10% lycra stretch. The last thing you want is a fabric that makes you sweat!!
- No roll-up or roll-down – nothing is worse than when you are walking, and you can feel the shapewear roll – you will be adjusting yourself all night. Here is where the size has to be right – take the time in finding the right size. Some shapewear has grip strips that help with the rolling. A good tip is to add dress tape to secure boyleg type shapewear from rolling up your thigh.
- Do not go for a size smaller than what you wear – the shapewear needs to be firm but not so tight that you cannot eat or drink.
- It creates unnecessary lumps to another part of your body.
- Must be seamless
- Does not pinch any of your muscles or skin
- Consider bathroom breaks – how easily can you maneuver in and out of the garment
We recommend that when you decide on a style of dress and the type of shapewear you will be wearing; all wedding fittings should be made with the shapewear on.
Brands of Shapewear
When I think of shapewear, I think of Spanx. Having a pair, I find the fabric to be beautiful, and it feels like a second skin making it comfortable. The extensive range offers mid-thigh shorts, bras, bodysuit, pantyhose, to name a few. Something for everyone. Spanx also offers a male range.Check out the website for more details on the range: https://www.spanx.com/shapewear
The brand offers an extensive size range, catering to ALL women. The range is intended to flatter, trim and lift. What is good about the range is that caters to women with a small waist, giving a nice hourglass look. Skims has a bridal range which we recommend you explore. Click on the link below to peek at the bridal range: https://skims.com/collections/shapewear#?col=Bridal
Good range on offer, with sizes ranging from a small to a 4XL. The range has three levels of shape – light for subtle smoothing, firm for a more controlled body shape and ultra-firm for the ultimate in smoothing. For more details, check out the website: https://www.maidenform.com/shapewear.html
Sizing ranges from S to 4XL, catering to most. The brand offers both medium and firm control, and the Maxi Sexy Shapers range. The products are seamless and lightweight fabric making the items comfortable to wear – ideal for brides and bridal party. Worth checking their website – https://magicbodyfashion.nl/shapewear
Nancy Ganz’s range is extensive. The brand focuses on Tummy, Thighs, All Over and Love Handles. It offers four levels of control – light, moderate, firm, and ultra-firm. Their website offers a virtual stylist – check it out https://www.nancyganz.com.au/shapewear
Image: Nancy Ganz
Other brands worth exploring:
- City Chic Plus Size Shapewear – sizing ranging from 14XLS to 24XXL, offers a comprehensive range that will smooth out the body. For more details, website https://www.citychic.com.au/lingerie/plus-size-shapewear/
- Triumph – another option to consider
- B-Free – Something here for most women. Click through their website https://www.bfreeaustralia.com.au/collections/shapewear
- La Perla Shapewear – for those wanting to splurge. Check out their Maison contouring and Shape-Allure. Stunning!! https://laperla.com/
There are plenty of brands to choose from. Find what best suits your body and design of the wedding dress/bridesmaids/groom/groomsmen. Shapewear smooths undergarments. It boosts confidence, accentuates curves, and hides all the unflattering bits. However, If it is not for you that is okay. You will still look fabulous on the day.
On a final note, to all our Wedztylers, you be you.
Wedztyle Planner: If you’re currently planning your wedding and are feeling stressed out by… well, everything, then you’ll love WedZtyle’s eBook. This comprehensive eBook has absolutely everything you need to feel on top of the wedding planning process and host a fun-filled, dreamy wedding. wedztyle.com
Wedztyle Wedding Channel: Free wedding planning videos created to help you plan the perfect wedding. These videos are a perfect compliment to our popular wedding planner. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqOO9RjcYNdVl6cICFDCDcA/
Main Image: Spanx